Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Is Lilly Expecting and is goats milk in our soon future?


UPDATE:  ( Sorry if some of this doesn't make any sense. I have a pounding headache tonight. I just couldn't wait to share our update with you all.)



Last time I posted it was about Lily if she expecting or not........ Drum roll please....Lily is definitely pregnant! The due date is around February 3rd 2014. The next question is Lilah pregnant? We will have to wait an see. Oct 9-11 is when we will check and see if she is. This is so exciting!  Mable (our new ewe) is not thinking Red (the ram) is so cute like the others do, but I think she will soon come around. 

All is good here on the homestead for the most part. The coop is finished for winter. We will be adding some things to it in the spring. They are necessary for the look but not a must for winter. The barn is another story. We have to get moving on that project. This is one project that will be needed in February. The barn is where the sheep will be living over the winter and where they will be lambing. So can't really stress how much the barn is a must. Plus we will be putting up a fence that will be divide the sheep and the goats.. oh speaking of goats. Ya know I was thinking about my goat situation. Did I mention my situation with you? I can't remember. Okay,so just in case I didn't I will let you in on what my situation is. 
   

  We bought 2 LaMancha Dairy goats. One for us and One for the in-laws. Following me so far? Good. We had trouble with them in the summer (to long of a story), but We were able to correct it and move forward. Now that we are on the right track, I was starting to do some research on breed them. As I was reading it said that they need to be 8 months and 70lbs at least. My heart sank.. NO! No! No! I ran out weighed our goats and realized this spring I can kiss my milking year good bye. That means no milk till spring of 2015. Yep you heard me right 2015. sigh...Words can't describe what I was feeling. I sat down with my husband and explained to him our situation and that we spend $64.00 a month just in goats milk. That's just for our little guy to drink. I buy regular milk and almond milk as well. I need to eliminate one of them. It was suppose to be the goats milk, that is why we bought the goats. He thought that maybe we could buy another goat and have her bred before she came here. Trust me I was really thinking about it, but I didn't want another mouth to feed. What to do, what to do? That is the million dollar question. Do we try and reach the weight she needs or buy one? 
          A goats breeding season is August to the end of October. I knew we are running out of time. I decided to leave it in the lords hands. I was standing there today just watching the goats. Focusing my attention on Hazelnut. I told Emma to bring her up and lets weigh her. I was surprised and happy that she had gained the weight. Not has much as I wanted her too. But it's enough to get her bred. You have no idea how happy and excited I am. This weekend we will be taking her up to meet the billy. She will stay there for the rest of the month. When we get the call to come up to get her we will be bringing home the Boer nanny that will be bred as well. Double excitement. 

We will have Milk next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment